Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Ten Hour Day

The first day on the road is always a hard day. This morning we started off badly by oversleeping. Whereas we intended to be on the road at seven, we didn't wake till seven-twenty so already we were behind. Starting the drive at nine wasn't bad in spite of the late rising but we pushed till seven this evening and it seems long. I did only two hours today but it broke the drive up a bit for Mike. So we are in Selma NC and tomorrow we will go on 95 to Fayetteville and then head away from 95 and the cities of the northeast for a route that's a little more driver-friendly. I imagine we will try for another long day tomorrow but no more than ten!

Yesterday, Friday, we picked Chris up from work and had supper with him and Laura and Jocelyn. We had fish cakes and beans with cole slaw...a hunter's breakfast for supper. It was delicious! Then we had a key lime pie for dessert. On the way home, we were caught up in the monster traffic jam on highway 4. Ordinarily it takes us about 30 minutes to get back to our condo from Luge Lane. When we took the ramp onto #4,it was already in a parking lot. It took us an hour and fifty five minutes to go five miles. There was an accident at the on ramp at Sea World and the traffic was down to one lane, at seven o'clock on a Friday night. UGLY BEYOND BELIEF!! Chris had often said how that hightway could be jammed but until you are driving 1.5mph you just don't understand what that means. We got home safely but I was starting to have feelings of panic after the first hour and a half in stop and go...mostly stop! We packed up the shed pretty well before going to bed so when we got up this morning, it was mainly moving things.

So day one of the return is done. Tomorrow should be a good day and then a hard day and then home. MIke is saying he would like to get to Waterville tomorrow but I don't believe that is humanly possible. I can't imagine getting home in just two more days.

As they say, stay tuned. I think we will be back at 124 on Tuesday. Time for bed; thanks for checking in.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those long drives headed home. I81 & I84 is certainly the way to go to avoid all those big cities and the traffic that that entails on 95!

    Glad you've had such a great visit. The driving on I4 sounds terrible -- I flew from Fort Myers to Orlando to spend a couple of days with my family recently. Couldn't face that drive by myself.

    Your blogs are great and fun to read. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete